Skip to main content

Joseph Bandor Papers

 Digital Collection
Identifier: p16084coll42

Biographical Note

Joseph Bandor was born in Carbon, Indiana on August 23, 1903, and raised in Hillsboro, Illinois. Joseph Bandor married Mildred Dancisak in St. Louis, Missouri on February 14, 1942. In 1944, the couple moved to Fort Worth, Texas, where Mr. Bandor worked as a management consultant for the Federal Public Housing Administration. As a parishioner of St. Patrick Catholic Church in Fort Worth, he was involved in numerous Catholic service organizations, serving as president and historian of the Serra Club of Fort Worth, president of the Dallas-Fort Worth Diocesan Council of Catholic Men, and Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. Bandor was actively involved with the Knights of Columbus as a member of the Msgr. Robert M. Nolan Council, No. 759 and served as Faithful Navigator of the General Worth Assembly, Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus.

During the late 1950s, Joseph Bandor attended Texas Christian University Evening College and was a member of Alpha Sigma Lambda, Iota Chapter. Shortly before his death, Bandor was completing his master’s thesis in government at Texas Christian University. Bandor died on March 7, 1965 and his master’s degree was posthumously awarded on June 2, 1965.

The majority of this collection provides materials documenting Joseph Bandor's involvement with the Knights of Columbus and the Dallas-Fort Worth Diocesan Council of Catholic Men. Materials include photographs, correspondence, programs, directories, itineraries, newsletters, and newspaper clippings. This collection also contains a digitized version of a scrapbook, compiled by Joseph Bandor, documenting his service with the local Knights of Columbus.

Note to researchers: From 1890 to 1953, Fort Worth-area Catholics were under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Dallas. In October 1953, the Co-Diocese of Dallas-Fort Worth was formed and, as a result, St. Patrick Catholic Church in downtown Fort Worth was elevated to the status of co-cathedral. In October 1969, the Diocese of Fort Worth was created out of 28 Texas counties that had formed the western half of the Diocese of Dallas and St. Patrick Co-Cathedral was designated as the cathedral for the newly formed diocese.

Repository Details

Part of the Fort Worth Public Library Archives Repository

Contact:
500 West 3rd Street
Fort Worth Texas 76102
817-392-7740