Majestic Theatre Programs
- 1919 - 1920
The Majestic Theatre in Fort Worth was one of seven Interstate Amusement Company theaters. The first Majestic Theatre building was built in 1905 on Jennings Avenue by W. J. Bailey. This building became the Savoy, and a new Majestic Theatre opened in 1911 on Commerce Street. Many vaudeville acts and performers did shows at the Majestic including Harry Houdini, Al Jolson, Mae West, the Four Marx brothers, and Fred and Adele Astaire. As the popularity of vaudeville faded, the theatre transitioned to being a motion picture theater. Gradually the theatre’s popularity declined opening only occasionally for special events. Although the owner of the time, Herman Goldblatt, fought to keep the theatre from being torn down, it was eventually demolished in 1966 to make way for the Convention Center.