Skip to main content

’93 Club Records

 Collection
Identifier: R-0006
The ’93 Club Records consist of organizational records including constitution and bylaws, reports, inventories, President’s Books, Secretary’s Books, minutes, Treasurer’s Books, and yearbooks, and scrapbooks. The records date from 1894-2015, with the bulk of the records dating from 1995-2008. The records are arranged into four series and measure 7.58 linear feet (18 boxes).

Series I, Organization Records, 1898-2015 consists of an Archives Committee Report, historical club documents, inventories, and essays read prepared by club members to be presented at meetings.

Series II, Administrative Records, 1895-2008 (bulk dates 1986-2008) contains the President’s Books, Secretary’s Books and Minutes, and Treasurer’s Records and reports. The President’s Books, compiled by past presidents of the ’93 Club during their tenure, hold rosters, President’s reports, annual closing records, minutes, correspondence, and other documents. The Secretary’s Books hold rosters, attendance records, agendas, minutes, executive board minutes, treasurer’s reports, and correspondence. Material in this series is arranged chronologically, by record type.

Series III, Yearbooks, 1894-2007 consists of ’93 Club Yearbooks and a Woman’s Club Yearbook. Most of the yearbooks are bound, with the exception of the Woman’s Club Yearbook and a few recent yearbooks.

Series IV, Scrapbooks, 1969-2007, is made up of scrapbooks that were assembled by ’93 Club members. The scrapbooks contain photographs, yearbooks, clippings, cards, and ephemera.

Dates

  • 1894-2015

Language of Materials

English

Extent

7.58 Linear Feet (18 Boxes)

History

The ’93 Club was founded in Fort Worth, Texas on November 15, 1893 by a group of seven women, including Mrs. H. E. McFarland and Miss Ethel Teachout. The ’93 Club welcomed married and single women, but initially was limited to twenty-one, and later, fifty members. The object of the club is “the pursuit of study as a means of intellectual culture and general improvement”. In 1923, it became one of the eleven founding study clubs of the Fort Worth Woman’s Club.

Physical Location

Archives: 7H1, 7I1, 7J1

Processing Notes:

“A Collect for Club Women” was removed from frame due to unknown material of frame, rusty tacks, and high-lignin content backing material. Edges of Collect discolored due to these materials.

Record-keeping practices appear to have changed over time: shift to President’s and Secretary’s Books in final quarter of 20th century. Some officers maintained records in chronological order and some in reverse chronological order; such records have been arranged in chronological order for consistency. President’s and Secretary’s Books and other administrative records that were originally housed in non-archival binders have were re-housed in acid-free folders. Rusty paper clips and staples were removed and replaced with folded acid-free paper or plastic clips as needed.

Scrapbooks were interleaved as necessary due to newspaper clippings and bright papers.
Title
’93 Club Records
Status
completed
Author
Linda Barrett
Date
August 2016
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Fort Worth Public Library Archives Repository

Contact:
500 West 3rd Street
Fort Worth Texas 76102
817-392-7740