Skip to main content

Andrew Thomas Seymour, III Papers

 Collection
Identifier: P-0076
The Andrew Thomas Seymour, III Papers consist of photographs; invitations, programs, promotional items, tickets and booklets pertaining to Bass Hall, Exchange Club of Fort Worth, Fort Worth Museum of Science & History and Van Cliburn Foundation; brochures from Thomas S. Byrne Inc.; and University of Texas reunion materials. The materials date from 1953-2007 and measure .20 linear feet (1 box).

Dates

  • 1953-2007

Language of Materials

English

Extent

0.20 Linear Feet (1 box)

Biographical / Historical

Andrew Thomas “Tom” Seymour, III was born in Houston, Texas on Nov. 13, 1928 to Andrew Thomas Seymour, II and Geraldine Smythe Seymour. In 1935, the Seymours moved from Kansas City, Missouri to Fort Worth, where Andrew Seymour II was a member of the Exchange Club. Tom Seymour married Bertha Clayton on September 10, 1949, and graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1950 with a degree in Architectural Engineering.

Mr. Seymour began his career with the Thos. S. Byrne, Inc. general contractors, in 1947 and became Vice President at Byrne in 1957. In 1973 he and his business partner, Jim Patterson, purchased Thos. S. Byrne and he was President of the company from 1973 until 1991. During this time Thos. S. Byrne, Inc. built many landmark structures in Fort Worth, including the Amon Carter Museum and the Fort Worth Water Gardens where Mr. Seymour worked with architect Phillip Johnson; and the Kimbell Art Museum, with architect Louis Kahn. He was also involved in the Sundance Square project.

Tom Seymour was board president of the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History as well as a board member of the Fort Worth Zoological Association and a member of the Exchange Club of Fort Worth. Mr. Seymour was a founding member of the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition and donated part of the prize money for the first competition in 1962. He died on May 23, 2009.
Title
Andrew Thomas Seymour, III Papers
Author
Bronwyn Booker
Date
01-10-2015
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Fort Worth Public Library Archives Repository

Contact:
500 West 3rd Street
Fort Worth Texas 76102
817-392-7740