Skip to main content

Harley W. and Lucille Luker Photograph Collection

Identifier: C-0036

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photographs relating to Harley Luker and his family.


  • 1916 - 1974

Biographical / Historical

Harley Luker was born on May 22, 1907 in Fort Worth, Texas. Harley and Lucille were married in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on December 21,1938. Harley had a son, Milton, who lived with his mother in Little Rock, and in Oklahoma City with his father and Lucille, a native of Ardmore, Oklahoma, until they moved to Fort Worth. Harley and Todd Davis opened an aircraft company in Oklahoma City in 1937. He flew for the National Guard, flew air- mail, and when WW II began, the company folded because the government required all aircraft for government use. The Luker family moved to Fort Worth, where Harley worked as a test pilot for Consolidated. Milton said that his dad had every kind of pilot certification. They bought a house at 2112 Ashland Avenue in Arlington Heights, which was their home for the rest of their lives.

Milton, Harley's son, graduated from Arlington Heights High School in 1945, joined the U. S. Navy and was home on furlough when he saw his father's first dog, a toy terrier, who later ran away. Soon the Lukers became interested in Chihuahuas. The next years, as evidenced by many photographs, they showed their dogs all over the country. The dogs won many awards.

When WW II ended, Harley's uncle, a wealthy Miami, Florida resident who owned Saxon Enterprises and other companies, invited him to come to Florida to work at developing a yacht cruise business. Harley accepted and the family began the move to Miami. The trip was miserable. In those days, cars had no air conditioning. They placed a fifty- gallon tub in the back of the family station wagon, with a fan blowing on the six Chihuahuas. When they got there, the family had to live on at least a two acre tract because of zoning restrictions. They were inconvenienced by having to store guns and other valuable possessions in a storage house, where the guns began to rust and mold covered other articles because of Miami's damp climate. Disillusioned, they returned to Fort Worth.

Back in Fort Worth, Harley worked at Jack Robinson's Flying Service where he retired. Later he worked at Melody Homes at Hicks Field, and was persuaded to buy an airplane so that he could bring parts quickly from places like southern Mexico.

Lucille opened a floral shop at Mount Olivet Funeral Home and worked until retirement.

Harley died on November 17, 1983, and Lucille died on October 31,1990.

(Milton Luker contributed valuable biographical information.)


3 Linear Feet (6 Boxes)

Language of Materials


Physical Location

Archives: 4A1
Harley W. and Lucille Luker Photograph Collection
G. R.
30 October 2002
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Fort Worth Public Library Archives Repository

500 West 3rd Street
Fort Worth Texas 76102