Skip to main content

Wesley Community House Records

 Collection
Identifier: R-0047

Scope and Contents

The Wesley Community House Records consists of meeting minutes and financial reports, other reports, narrative histores, ephemera, clippings, and scrapbooks.

Dates

  • 1908 - 1988

Biographical / Historical

In 1908 the City Mission Board was organized at the First Methodist Church of Fort Worth. The board, comprised of Methodist ministers and representatives of the Woman’s Home Mission Society, promoted missionary work among the city’s poor and immigrant groups. It employed a female mission worker to conduct a program of visitations, evangelism, and relief. Religious meetings were held at railroad shops and in private homes.

Five years later, the board decided to concentrate its efforts among the immigrants living around and working at the packing houses on the north side. Land was purchased on North Commerce Street, and the Wesley Community House was erected the following year. The House remained at this location for fifty-three years. In 1967, a new building was built at 3600 North Crump Street, which continues in operation today.

Wesley House developed a wide range of activities including a Sunday School, a kindergarten, adult language and home economics classes, organized sports, and welfare assistance. During the 1920s and the 1930s, the population of the area and therefore the patronage of the agency was increasingly Mexican-born immigrants and their children. Wesley House became, and continues today, as primarily an Hispanic institution. Currently, it operates as part of the United Community Centers, which has five locations throughout the City of Fort Worth.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet (3 Boxes)

Existence and Location of Copies

Copies of the collection were also placed in the Central Methodist Conference Archives at Texas Wesleyan University.
Title
Wesley Community House Records
Author
Unknown
Date
Undated

Repository Details

Part of the Fort Worth Public Library Archives Repository

Contact:
500 West 3rd Street
Fort Worth Texas 76102
817-392-7740