American Red Cross, Fort Worth Chapter
Scope and Contents
The American Red Cross Records consist of documents, photographs, slides, and negatives, publications, newspaper clippings, textiles, and realia. The materials date from 1916-2010, with the bulk of the materials dating from 1940s-1980s. The material is arranged into 11 series and measures 70.8 linear feet (54 Boxes). The records came to the library with little, if any, of their original order intact. Series I, Administrative, 1916-2007 & Undated, contains minutes, annual reports and meetings, Board of Directors lists, financial statements and committee reports. Series II, History, 1918-2006 & Undated, contains magazines, pamphlets, small posters and other items relating to the history of the American Red Cross. It also contains a folder with items relating to Edith Mary Kelly, a nurse during WW I. Series III, Communications, 1917-2009 & Undated, contains Proclamations, Certificates of Appreciation, telegrams, clippings, newsletters and other publications relating to the American Red Cross. Series IV, Operations, 1917-2010 & Undated, contains Operating Instructions, pamphlets, and handbooks relating to the American Red Cross. Series V, Facilities, 1984-1988 & Undated, contains plans, proposals, contracts, and maps for selling the old chapter house at 6640 Camp Bowie and buying a new chapter house at 1515 South Sylvania Series VI, Photos & Slides, 1941-2001 & Undated, contains photographs, slides and negatives of disasters, war, local activities, and youth. Many of the items are unidentified and/or undated. Series VII, Scrapbooks, 1940-1988 & Undated, contains scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, Fund Campaign activities, Talking Letters, 50th Anniversary, Public Relations, and Blood Donor Service. Series VIII, Oversize, 1942-2007 & Undated, contains proclamations, calendar artwork and miscellaneous items related to the American Red Cross that were too large to fit elsewhere. Series IX, Realia, 1919-1944 & Undated, contains a 1919 book, Red Cross Girls on the French Firing Line, a tile from the San Antonio Chapter, the Tarrant County Chapter embossing seal, plaques, 2 gavels, a pair of boots, a pair of shoes, buttons, pins, and belts. Series X, Media, 1983-2010 & Undated, contains compact discs and cassette tapes with accompanying transcripts. Subjects include marketing, disasters, war, and miscellaneous topics. Series XI, Textiles, 1939-1986 & Undated, contains American Red Cross armbands and patches, clothing and hats/caps with American Red Cross patches or buttons, United States Flags, a Texas flag, and Red Cross flags.
- Majority of material found within 1916 - 2010
Conditions Governing Access
Folder 6, Box 2 contains personal information and is restricted to protect the privacy of the person involved. Questions about these materials may be directed to the Archivist of the Fort Worth Public Library Archives.
Conditions Governing Use
Some materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C). W. D. Smith photographs are protected by copyright
Biographical / Historical
The American National Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief, and disaster preparedness, and emergency and non-emergency services to the United States military. Volunteers at chapters across the country help provide relief to those affected by disasters and empower residents to prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies The Fort Worth Chapter of the American National Red Cross was granted a Charter by Congress on February 1, 1916. On May 2, 1917 a building was acquired at the corner of 5th St and Main. December 28, 1817 – the name was changed to Tarrant County Chapter 1923 – the name was changed to Fort Worth and Tarrant County Chapter October 1, 1938 – the name was changed to Tarrant County Chapter In April 1942 the Chapter moved to 201 Majestic Building. Sometime later they moved to the Dancinger Building, then to 1404 El Paso, and in 1951 they purchased an older home at 1302 Ballenger. In December 1959 the Chapter bought the Southern Geophysical Building at 6640 Camp Bowie and remained there for 30 years. The Chapter moved into 1515 South Sylvania on 29 Sep 1989. Twenty seven and a half years later, on 1 May 2018, the chapter moved to 6000 Western Place, Suite 100. At some point they became the Chisholm Trail Chapter and in 2014 they merged with the Chapter in Dallas and became the American Red Cross serving the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.
70 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The materials were donated to the Fort Worth Public Library by Kristen O’Hare in August 2017. The building at 1616 Sylvania Ave had been sold and the Chapter was downsizing to move into a small portion of the building until a new location could be acquired. Closets and desks were cleaned out and donated as part of this effort.
A panoramic photograph of Nurses at Camp Logan, Houston, TX, undated, was removed from the collection and placed in the Panoramic Photos Box.
The records came to the library with little, if any, of their original order intact. Due to poor condition some scrapbooks have been put in folders. The end boards on other scrapbooks were removed due to mold contamination. The pins in boxes 28 and 29 were researched using the CD Collectors Guide to American Red Cross Pins by Shirley Powers, January 2019. The page number on the CD where the pin is found is indicated for each pin. The CD itself is held with the accession materials.
- Language of description
- Script of description