American Red Cross, Fort Worth Chapter
Scope and Contents
The American Red Cross Records consist of documents, photographs, slides, and negatives, publications, newspaper clippings, textiles, and realia. The materials date from 1916-2010, with the bulk of the materials dating from 1940s-1980s.
- 1916 - 2010
- Majority of material found within 1940s-1980s
Conditions Governing Access
Folder 6, Box 2 contains personal information and is restricted to protect the privacy of the person involved. Questions about these materials may be directed to the Archivist of the Fort Worth Public Library Archives.
Conditions Governing Use
Some materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C). W. D. Smith photographs are protected by copyright.
The American National Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief, and disaster preparedness, and emergency and non-emergency services to the United States military. Volunteers at chapters across the country help provide relief to those affected by disasters and empower residents to prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies.
The Fort Worth Chapter of the American National Red Cross was granted a Charter by Congress on February 1, 1916.
70.8 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The records came to the library with little, if any, of their original order intact. The material is arranged into 11 series.
Cassette tapes and compact discs in present in collection require equipment specific to their formats in order to be accessible.
The materials were donated to the Fort Worth Public Library by Kristen O’Hare in August 2017. The building at 1616 Sylvania Ave had been sold and the Chapter was downsizing to move into a small portion of the building until a new location could be acquired. Closets and desks were cleaned out and donated as part of this effort.
A panoramic photograph of Nurses at Camp Logan, Houston, TX, undated, was removed from the collection and placed in the Panoramic Photos Box.
Due to poor condition some scrapbooks were disassembled and put in folders. The end boards on other scrapbooks were removed due to mold contamination. The pins in boxes 28 and 29 were researched using the CD Collectors Guide to American Red Cross Pins by Shirley Powers, January 2019. The page number on the CD where the pin is found is indicated for each pin. The CD is with the accession materials.
- American Red Cross. Programs and Services
- Fort Worth (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tarrant County (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- War Work Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- War work--Red Cross Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American Red Cross. Dallas-Fort Worth Chapter. (Tex.) (Organization)
- In Taro
- Language of description
- Script of description